6.12.09

My Top Ten List of Christmas Movies (#8–#10)

Now that Madison has gotten its first snow accumulation and more and more radio stations are switching over full-time to Christmas carols, I feel comfortable finally posting my Christmas movie top ten. What follows are the films that never fail to put me in that Christmas spirit. Am I missing any? Does your list differ? If so, post your own list in the comments.

Guiding criteria: 1) Movies must take place during the Christmas season or make heavy reference to the holidays in some respect (thus, Hanukkah movies are eligible, though none made my list—sorry Adam Sandler). 2) Movies must foster a sense of Christmas spirit. 3) Movies must be feature-length. (Therefore, you will not find “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” “Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” “Santa Claus is Coming to Town,” or “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” though they would all certainly make the list).

I will post three movies a day for the next three days. My number one will come on Wednesday (along with some honorable mentions and my “Stinker List”)

Note: Before you criticize too harshly, my list is more of a personal list based on how significantly each of these movies features in my personal conception of Christmas. In no way am I making the claim that The Santa Clause is superior artisitcally to It’s a Wonderful Life. However, for me, Tim Allen bests Jimmy Stewart in capturing the sense and spirit of Christmas (though Stewart kicks the ass of anything Allen has done with Rear Window). Here's why:

10. It’s a Wonderful Life:


For me, It’s a Wonderful Life is less of a Christmas movie, since I associate it with afternoons spent flipping between the movie on TBS and the football game on Fox while waiting on Thanksgiving dinner. Adding to that, I doubt I’ve ever seen the entire movie in one sitting, and perhaps the entire movie at all. Regardless, it had to make my list for lines like, “What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey. That's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Mary.” Also, I feared the retribution I’d receive from neglecting such an American “classic.” What better way to celebrate the Christmas spirit than by watching a suicidal Jimmy Stewart regain his zest for life? I suppose I have to be thankful that the movie didn’t feature one of his poetry recitals.

This movie calls out to the heart in all of us, because we all would like to think that the world would go to shit if we weren’t here.

9. The Santa Clause


What it lacks in overall quality and depth as an edifying film and in artistry in its Disney-slicked production, it makes up for in originality. There’s much to love in settling into the comfort of a nice broken-in pair of slippers and reciting all of Yukon Cornelius’ lines in Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer, but there is something equally magical in discovering a Christmas movie that doesn’t loosely rip off A Christmas Carol (ala It’s a Wonderful Life). Who doesn’t want a dad who part-times as Santa Claus? Beyond its schmaltziness, it does attempt to address the issue of a father afraid of being usurped and settles on the reassuring conclusion that whatever the difficulties, divorced parents can exist in harmony. Thank you for that, Disney. Now if they only wouldn’t have tried to turn the movie into a franchise…

8. The Polar Express:


As a child of the late 80s and early 90s, The Polar Express is a book entwined with my conception of Christmas. It was my love for the book that me filled me with trepidation about the film adaptation, especially after seeing the glossy, cheap animation in the previews. But for all its deviations from the book (I understand the story needed bulking up) and cheap adventure thrills to entertain the younger audience members (a train on a frozen lake? C’mon!), it’s a very solid Christmas movie, replete with views of the North Pole, new Christmas carols, and a great metaphor in the silver bell. I make no claims about the merits of the filmmaking (though the movie has some deliciously-haunting moments, such as the skipping record in the now-empty toyshop and the view of the department store window pooling light out onto the deserted street as the train glides past, as well as some great blocking). All I can say is it’s entertaining. Too high in the list? Certainly. But for a kid that loved trains and the book version, the movie didn’t have to do too much to win me over.

Key Scene: This heartfelt (if slightly out-of-touch) new Christmas song could put Grinch in a Christmas mood (though one wonders, now that we’ve all been “enlightened” about who really puts the presents under the tree, what the kid will think when there is no Santa to bring him gifts).

3 comments:

  1. There is no Santa??? What the fkuck Case...thanks for ruining my Christmas. I can't wait to analyze the list when it is completed. We'll have to debate this list next time we get together. I'll work on getting my list in order quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah J, get your list together. I'm guessing ours will be quite similar though, being siblings and all. We should put together a list of the top Thayer movies. On the list--Die Hard with a Vengeance, Surf Ninjas, Batman, 3 Ninjas... (what was it with us and ninjas?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. List completely invalidated because a) you haven't seen It's a Wonderful Life at one go and b) you seemingly included it out of a sense of duty rather than the necessity it more than earns (along with a much higher rank).

    Christmas fail. Enjoy the naughty list.

    ReplyDelete